leopold and loeb

Monday, April 28, 2008

A real life Bag End



I have been waiting for this ever since the first Lord of the Rings movies was released. Well, I guess I may have been waiting for it ever since my mother first read me "The Hobbit" back in the recesses of time (That's what Bilbo Baggins hates, So carefully, carefully with the plates!).

A family in Wales has decided to build their very own Bag End into a hill on their property. The details and pictures are here. They claim it took only 1000 to 1500 man hours over 4 months and only about $6000 to create. Of course I doubt I myself could ever build such a thing, putting together my bookcase with the instructions next to me took me the better part of an afternoon, but its COOL!

This is the sort of thing that one could make a mint with. If you built, say 10 of these houses around a central hall in some remote piece of land and called it Hobbiton, you could be raking in the cash from geeky hollidayers for the rest of your life. That goes on my list of what I would do if I won the lottery. Build Hobbiton and hire someone else to run it. Then I could go whenever I wanted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home