leopold and loeb

Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Playing Catch up

This morning I got a call from my temp agency lady at like 7:30. She said she had a last miinute job for me, and like a fool, I agreed. The job is at a leasing office of an apartment building in downtown DC. The temp lady assured me that it was going to be very nice and not at all like where I live. Well she was wrong. This place is a dump! The 'office' is a tiny room, about the size of my bathroom. The computer doesn't work. The windows are grimy and made of those weird glass bricks so I can't see out. The heater is stuck on so that even though its in the 40s outside, its close to 90 in the office. The actual 'lobby' is nice enough, but so tiny that its hardly worth anything to look at. My 'tour' included where I'll be having lunch. In the laundry room. The gym, a garrish room with one treadmill and a set of free weights, connected to the rest of the building via a parking lot. I shudder to imagine the bathroom.

We all know that I'm a snob. But hinestly, I want to work at an OFFICE. With working equipment. And maybe a kitchenette. Coffee pots. Cubicles. Potted plants. Desk Lamps. Windows that you can see out of.

I keep having my father's voice in my head. That its money, and I dont have anything better going on. What else would I be doing today? Sleeping til 10 and watching TV. Which is true. But there are only so many levels below ones standard that one can go.

The wretched thing is that I'm suposed to work for this company in another building this Friday, Saturday, and next Monday. Again, I dont want to turn up my nose at money that I really need, but I'm really not looking forward to it. Especially after seeing this place.

So far I've been here for an hour and a half. And I'm so bored. Without the computer, all I have is my book (that I've read dozens of times)and a pad of paper. And my cell phone.

Maybe I'll take a surruptitious nap. More later.


Later: Well 1:45. Been here since 9:15. Just got back from lunch. Nice little deli, a bit of a run down, but the food was good. Then stoped in Starbucks. Much more my speed. The Starbucks crowd is my crowd. Suits. Yuppy mothers with strollers with brand names like "bugaboo". Then back here. Had to close the office door when I left, to deter theft I suppose, but the end result was that the place was like a furnace when I came back. Good thing I got a frozen drink from Starbucks.

While in Starbucks, I used the restroom. I have an irrational fear of public bathrooms, but an even greater fear of what could be awaiting me at the apartment building, bathroom-wise. After washing my hands I used the weird blow-dry hand thing. This was seriously the most powerful thing I have ever encountered. The skin on the back of my hands was rippling like crazy. Plus it blew cold air. Yech.

Even Later: Just went to the bathroom and it wasnt as bad as I thought. Small and spartan, but brightly lit and clean. Smelled rather strongly of lemon-scented cleaner, but I suppose thats preferrable to other odors that may be found in bathrooms.

Just had to move my car. Apparently they tow on the street that I had parked on. But they only tow after 4. It is now 3:15. I'll likely have to stay until 5 or so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home