leopold and loeb

Friday, June 07, 2013

Lazy Fashionista

This is a weird post to write. Mostly because its going to sound braggy, which I don't like. Essentially, I wanted to share what I've learned about style and fashion as I've grown. I know several people (no names!) who have asked me about how I went from the girl who wore tee shirts and jeans exclusively to the worker bee in a law firm in Georgetown. There are a few basic "rules" that started me off and once you get those rules down pat, you can really disregard them.

Disclaimer: These rules apply to when you are trying to look good/put together. If you are shlubbing around the house on a Saturday, I won't judge.

1. Look for pieces that are interesting. This is my main rule. Pieces that are interesting make an outfit interesting without any extra work from me. Putting on a beautiful sweater with intricate detailing takes as much effort as pulling on a tee shirt except suddenly you look pulled together and amazing. If the piece is interesting, the look is interesting.

1a. That being said, don't over do it. My rule is: only one interesting piece per outfit. So if my top is intricate in some way, the bottoms are plain. and vice versa.

2. Blacks and Browns. Don't do it. This rule is one of those that can be ignored once you have a base line of style. I often mix browns and blacks now. When I started this journey it looked horrible. The same goes for mixing prints.

3. TAILOR! This is one of those not-so-lazy steps. You can have an amazing garment but if it doesn't fit you correctly you'll look like a sac. I've come across A TON of tutorials on Pinterest about how to tailor your own clothes, and really, any proficiency at all with a sewing machine means you can do it yourself. My method is actually pretty lazy. I take a shirt that I know fits me well, I lay it on top of the ill-fitting garment and I mark the lines with chalk. Then sew up the chalk lines. This works particularly for me because I have big boobs and a smaller waist. If things fit my boobs, they are generally far too big for my waist and hang awkwardly. 15 minutes with my sewing machine and viola! new garment!

4. Short skirt with high heels. This is an inverse relationship. The shorter your skirt, the higher the heels. Maxis need flats, minis need platforms. Again, a rule that is made to be broken, but go carefully.

5. Know thy body. Seriously. I classify myself as an infinity symbol. Or, to put it another way, an hourglass with extra minutes. I have a trimmer waist but a very full bust and hips. Shift dresses look terrible on me. Wrap dresses work. Click here for a great breakdown on what styles work best on what body type.

6. Accessories. Don't run away! Its ok. just breathe. better? OK. Accessories are not to be feared. I promise. There are the ones that everyone's mother went to, necklaces and earrings. Which are great! I think the right pair of earrings can really make or break an outfit. Same with necklaces. Here's a cheat sheet for which kind of necklace goes best with which kind of neckline. The accessories I want to talk about are belts and scarves. I was VERY wary of belts until recently, but they really can change an outfit. Proof. Also, try those big, weird necklaces that you've been mocking at the shop. They can actually do a lot for your outfit, they provide a focal point to what might otherwise be a very drab outfit. Story time. I got a "statement" necklace from a friend of mine for a christmas a few years back. It was something I NEVER would have picked out for myself. I can't even tell you how many times I've pulled out that necklace to change an outfit.

7. Combos. Here's where we get into a little more advanced stuff. Back to rule 1a. remember that if you have a crazy thing going on below, keep it a little more reserved on top. and vice versa. Here's a handy infographic to explain what I'm talking about. With combinations of colors on the bottom you immediately have WAAAY more outfit options. Don't be afraid of it. But do be wary. I have not found colored pants in anything but cigarette or skinny cuts. Those cuts do not flatter me AT ALL. So I have yet to buy any. But I do have plenty of colored skirts and I use them, oh how I use them!

8. Thou shalt not wear shirts with printed sayings or logos. Seriously. When you get to a certain age there should no longer be shirts with catch phrases or cartoon characters on them. Please. I beg of you.

9. Wear what you like, just in different ways. I had a tee shirt that I couldn't bear to part with, but, referring back to rule 8, I couldn't leave the house in it. It was a pickle. And then I was playing around on Pinterest and found these 2 tutorials about how to restyle old tee shirts. Amazing! Suddenly my old tee shirt from high school became a statement piece that could be worn out and about, even to work (on a casual day).

9a. Another piece of this rule is advice. If you don't love how you look in it, you probably wont wear it. And it is a waste of money. If you love a piece but don't know how to style it, buy it anyway, the style will come. My main loves in fashion are polka dots and cowl necks. I personally HATE turtlenecks and skinny jeans. So, though skinny jeans are "in" right now, I don't own a pair. Come winter, I wear cowl neck sweaters and lovely v-necks, no turtles. Just because it's "in" doesn't mean YOU have to wear it.

10. Be yourself. This one is so obvious it's almost not a rule. If you're geeky, be geeky. If you're sporty, be sporty. And so on. The thing about style is that there are so many different ways to be stylish, as many different ways as there are kinds of people. If you think you don't have a style, you're wrong. You are your style. I'm putting this badly. There are 2 quotes that I think really say this better. "Style is a way of saying who you are without speaking"- Jean Cocteau  and "Style is very personal. It has nothing to do with fashion. Fashion is over quickly, Style is forever"- Ralph Lauren


4 Comments:

At 6:54 AM, Anonymous Bollywood replica outfits for men said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:02 AM, Anonymous online dramas said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:19 AM, Anonymous online dramas said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:43 AM, Anonymous Jodhpuri suits said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home