leopold and loeb

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Things that make me happy #7855

Jezebel.com

Seriously you guys this website is awesome! My good friend Mika turned me on to it because of the Fine Lines articles that run every Friday. Fine Lines author Lizzie Skurnick takes books from her childhood and rereads them as an adult. Then posts her article about how she felt about the book then and now. Since I am all about rereading old favorites until the covers literally fall off (seriously, I have to find the book part of the Phantom Tollbooth, the cover has been in the living room for like, months), I am totally in love with it. Though the author Ms. Skurnick is a bit older than me, so some of her book choices are not what I have read, it is certainly interesting to look at these books from a new perspective. I especially liked the one she did about Little House in the Big Woods, which was like my arm when I was a kid. I’m certain I had it memorized at one point. In fact, one scene stands out in my memory in particular, and Skurnick mentions it in the piece!

Another thing that Jezebel does really well is speak intelligently about real women’s issues. Yes there are fun pictures of celebrities looking stupid, which is fun for all ages, but there are also articles about real life. And real women. And the things real women face in real life. Every time I go to Jez, I know I’m going to be spending some quality time on the site.

Some of today’s lead articles:

Dress Your Family in Whimsy and Symbolism (an obvious homage (or dig?) at David Sedaris’s classic, “Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim”)

Looking for Love? Don’t Change Your Hair, Weight, or Cup Size ­— Change Your Country (one woman's journey for actual fulfillment through love, not sex)

Selling Women’s Clothes to Women (an awesome piece comparing Victoria's Secret to a less well known brand Athleta)

Some others that I don’t feel like tracking down but were awesome nevertheless were about women as suicide bombers, the new vampire book series that is so unbelievably Christian Right that the story about VAMPIRES is swallowed whole, and the Shenis. Yes that is what it sounds like.

Spend some time poking around this site, and if you don’t like it I’ll give you a million dollars. Or a swift kick.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home