leopold and loeb

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Day Labor

For some, Labor Day is a fun three day weekend full of merriment and joviality. Not so for me, at least not this year. Since I am moving in 4 days, there was (and still is) a lot to do. First on the list was to go through all the crap that I have yet to unpack from school. Half of that was either thrown away or put in the box to be donated. Then on to my bedroom in which I have been hording stuff for 15 years. There were 3 trash bags filled before we gave up, and there are still pockets of resistance spilling from my closet and bookshelves.

Then I had to make sure that I could get to my office from my new apartment, and of course, back from my office. My TomTom had me quite worried and vexed at the same time, as it has developed a habit of not knowing where I am and attempting to direct me from a totally different road. About 20 minutes of fiddling with it and making sure it knew that I did NOT want it to figure out the route, I wanted it to direct me along a route of my choosing. Through the city, not too bad on labor day at 1pm. We’ll see what happens during rush hour on a daily basis. Plus, the nerve wracking lanes that take you into Anacostia with very little warning.

Trying to find people to help me move has also been quite stressful. I think I’ve cobbled together enough people to work in shifts to make the day somewhat bearable, but god only knows how stressed I’ll be on the day. My stomach has not been my friend, as its response to stress of any kind is to tangle into a knot and call attention to itself at most inopportune moments.

Anyone who can offer any helpful advice* please do so. Otherwise, stay out of my way until my life comes back down to a simmer.

*and I mean actually helpful. Not things I ‘should’ be doing that I am clearly an idiot for not thinking of. That is the sort of help that I could definitely do without.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home